Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Good Birding Today!

My backyard became a feast for no less than 20 - 30 Juncos, 3 Towhees, and 3 Varied Thrush this afternoon. It was a treat to watch the Junco's flit back and forth among themselves pecking at whatever they thought was good to eat on the ground about 2:30pm. Grey clouds were moving in by 3PM and it seemed so much later in the evening. I hope it doesn't snow, but it just might.

Yesterday evening there was a small flock of geese that flew over quite low and were heading East. I wonder where they were headed. I'll have to check my pond and lake maps for the nearest water body. I imagine a few have iced over in the past few days.

The Varied Thrush are uncommon visitors here and as soon as I attempted to snap a photo... I was spotted and they flew off!

[AND Thank you, C. Southwick for the wonderful idea. Wrapping a hummingbird feeder in Christmas lights just might be the trick to keeping the ice away! ]

Cross Posted to TWEETERS

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join