Friday, March 19, 2010

Eagles dominate Crows infiltrate

For the past two sunny afternoons, an Eagle has been circling just above tree top level. Three Canada Geese flew over the tree tops yesterday evening at dusk in the direction of the pond. My normal bunch of 12-15 Juncos have been absent. Visits to the feeder are primarily from a pair of Pine Siskin and a pair of Red-Breasted Nuthatch and a Chestnut backed chickadee or two. I have heard Towhees and Stellar Jay in the back brush and have seen at least one of the pair of Varied Thrush. Junco's are largely absent at the feeders and have taken to flitting in the lower branches of evergreen trees. The Stellar Jay annoy my puppy as do the squirrels here in the green belt. Puppy would love to chase them away! I wonder if the absence of Junco's has anything to do with the increased number of crows in the area? Are the Junco's nesting now? Or have they moved? I have noticed quite a few more bugs in the afternoon.

We have had quite a bit of heli traffic in the past month, too. This week I noticed that a group of 6 or 7 crows perched in various tree top locations across approx. 2 acres, call to each other using three caws each and in turn each will respond with three caws. Once, a crow called six or seven caws in quick succession where all seven simultaneously flew away from the direction of an approaching helicopter. I believe that crows are very intelligent. Some say that they can even recognize human faces.

One night, just at dark, there was a bird that flew right by me. It was small in size with pointed wing tips. I wonder if it was a nighthawk.

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join