Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A shock of color

The only shock of color on my Bohemian Waxwing was on his wing. I say “shock” because I was able to view him from behind as he landed back into the rose bramble where I first spotted him. His head was a rusty red with a black mask and did not have a spot of white around his eye area at all. I was shocked at the contrast of color his wings provided upon recoiling his feathers after landing. The contrast was remarkable against his grey body and slightly orange under tail. His slightly orange breast sides matched his undertail color and was not that remarkable in a color comparison to his wing flash. I would have noticed immediately if his rump was white, but it was not. The majority of color contrast provided, remained on his wings.


No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join