Friday, October 23, 2009

Most certainly not a Kestral, but a Bohemian Waxwing

Bohemian Waxwing

This wasn’t the Kestral I thought it to be, but a Bohemian Waxwing that landed in my rose bramble! He may have been looking for left over hips. The cardinal like plume and red/white spotted wings gives him away, even though he wears a mask.

According to the Seattle Audobon, this Bohemian Waxwing has not been recorded in the West Cascades. Well, he showed up in Thurston County today, folks!

“In some years they extend farther west into the Columbia Basin (Cle Elum and Ellensburg), and can rarely be seen west of the Cascades.”

I dunno? Did I see a rare bird in the West Cascades?

My bird had an orange head with orange breast and red and white spots towards the edge of his wing tips.

Many tweeters have been so helpful in identifying the four European Starlings today.

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join