Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Quail, Flicker, Grey Squirrels

A large number of quail are living in the briars and were seen in the field.

A flicker has visited on several days in the backyard and was heard in a tree towards the Southern most side. Usually, flickers are noticed on the Northeastern side only.

Squirrels are attacking my bird feeding station and the suet feeder. I moved the suet feeder so that it would be more of a challenge for them. There are three grey squirrels and a two large nests here.

I found a chestnut buried in the dirt. It was a rather large chestnut, too. I wonder when it was buried as the chestnut was still tender on the inside. I can’t imagine a squirrell packing that chestnut all the way over here to bury it. I have not noticed any nearby chestnut trees. I will have to investigate.

A flock of unidentified birds were visiting this week. Medium sized grey wings, black spotted/orange-red spotted breast, and usually are seen in the trees undercover. About 20 of them were feeding on the lawn after the dog and I took a walk. I’ve noticed this type bird in the bushes/trees earlier, but it has never come out of the tree line.

There have been flocks of European Starlings that are flying noisily from tree to tree.

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join