Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Oaks and birds

This oak is on county property and is now in bloom. The photo was taken last month.
There are six or seven small sized oaks in this area surrounded by tall grass and mostly conifers.

I have attempted to re-check the area where I thought the Mountain Bluebird(s) were living, near an oak stand, and have not been able to see them lately. These birds may very well be mis-identified.

I had an unusual visit to the feeders last month. I haven't been able to identify. It's back was black with white, breast color was orange with white.

A Chestnut Backed Chickadee has taken up residence and begun a family in my swallow bird house. They are quite actively feeding their young and flying back and forth from the nest. I can hear two or three little babies chirping loudly when they are fed.

At the canal there are many swallows including Violet Green. I love to watch the swallows swarm and flit just above the water. Here I added another unidentified bird to my list. I now have two un-id'd for the year. This bird had an white circular collar around his neck on an orange breast with brown back. This doesn't include the 2 hawks/merlins/nightjars that were seen flying around the canal. The swallows avoided these two birds after they flew above the canal and the whole group of swallows swarmed to the opposite side. The usual tricolored black bird and his mate are living near the canal. They are loud, but pleasant to hear.

I have added two more bird feeders to the yard and have noticed that the brambles are overcoming the bath now. I think that I'll leave the bath covered.

Northern Flicker
American Crow
European Starling
Stellar Jay
Chestnut Backed Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
?
Spotted Towhee
Common Yellowthroat
White Crowned Sparrow
Violet Green Swallow
Barn Swallow
??Hawk
?Doves
?Pigeon
2 Bald Eagle on American Lake

No comments:

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring
Prev Site Random Site Next Site
Linking Birders Worldwide Join